Sunday 23 November 2014

Torn.


I want to share a book with you.

This book TORN is one of the few books that has stayed on my bedside table for a long stretch. I didn't know a couple of years ago when I went to a book reading with a friend that this book would become such a favourite for me. I pick it up and read a short excerpt before bed on my hardest days, and the thing I love about it is it doesn't try to teach me anything, impart any great wisdom or technique, and it definitely doesn't try to fix the problem or take the pain away. It simply shares stories from other women just like me who experience the duality of motherhood and career, the pull in multiple directions, the human experience of feeling and wanting opposite things at the same time. This is how I spend much of my time, torn, and this confirms many other women/parents do too. It reassures me to know that I am not alone. And it give me a laugh sometimes too. There's a lot to be said for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment